Summertime is here and it’s unlike any other Summer before. How can families stay safe while enjoying a staycation with their little ones? If you are traveling anywhere for Summer, we encourage safety precautions to keep your and other families safe! To help you prepare for Summertime at home (or away) and for the heat, we’ve compiled a list of tips! Try these out during your Fourth of July weekend!
Staying At Home?
Staying at home doesn’t need to be boring! Your kids can have a great time at home, and you can even maximize your time to make Summer beneficial for their development! Start with a couple of home-friendly activities by age!
Sensory Activities are great for children under the age of 2-years-old and become vital for children around 3-months-old. Sensory activities stimulate young children’s senses: touch, smell, taste, movement, balance, sight, and hearing. Sensory activities facilitate exploration and naturally encourage children to use scientific processes while they play, create, investigate, and explore. Why not take Summer as an opportunity to explore Summer Themed Sensory Activities?
Try this Frozen Shaving Cream sensory activity! Just place toys in a tub of shaving cream and pop the tub in the freezer. Your baby can dig out the objects as the frozen shaving cream crumbles away!
For older children over the age of 3, try cooking Summer recipes together! Cooking dishes that are vibrantly colored are a great way to get in the Summertime mood. Your child will feel proud of creating something with you, and these 3 months are a good way to allow your children to explore more (supervised) independence! Try this easy Watermelon Rice Crispy Treat recipe!
The biggest challenge during the Summer months for parents is the lack of routine. When your child gets bored, they become anxious or moody. Avoid under stimulation by signing your child up for Summer Enrichment Camp. A couple of classes a day can prevent learning loss, create a sense of stability, and boost their mood! Summer Classes are a great way to engage children of all ages!
If your children miss the outdoors, bring the outdoors to them with a jungle-gym latter, fit for their age group. Your children will be stimulated and have the opportunity to spend their energy using these handcrafted toys:
If You Are Going Out, Please Be Responsible!
Normally, Summer is associated with family vacations that are out-of-state/country, but with the prevailing pandemic, traveling should be rare! We want all families to be safe, so whether you are going out to a restaurant or catching a flight, follow these safety precautions to ensure you and your child will be safe!
1) Bring hand sanitizer everywhere you go. Although restaurants are opening while taking safety precautions, eliminate a larger chance of viral infection by sanitizing your child’s hands and your own, before and after meals.
2) You and your child’s masks are essential! If you need a fitted mask for your child, try this mask!
3) Stay hydrated! Carry reusable water bottles and travel milk bottles if your child is bottle feeding. To maintain your baby’s milk at safe temperatures, pack the bottles with freezer packs!
Summer Essentials For Every Family.
Summer should be a time to relax and have fun, even while staying local! Family BBQs, socially distanced beach picnics, and backyard camping are all great options this year! Prepare your family for the heat and bugs that may accompany these outdoor adventures.
Change out your wardrobe for the Summer months! Pick breathable, cotton, or linen pieces to prevent rash and irritation from sweating! If your child’s skin is beginning to form red and bumpy patches, their clothing may be the issue! Complete the Summer look with helpful accessories that facilitate comfortable movement and mitigate sun damage.
Pick up one or all of the following accessories:
1) Grab a pair of sunglasses for yourself and your child. Protect your child’s eyes with a pair of sunglasses that are fitted with an adjustable strap and are BPA-free.
2) Is reapplying sunscreen on your child nearly impossible? Protect the back of their neck as they play outside with a bucket hat. This will stay securely on their head as they run around and play.
3) Keep your baby cool as they lay down and fall asleep! Clip this accessory onto your baby’s stroller or crib.
If you are going to be outside for a long period of time, take the shade with you and fend off the bugs! Many of these items are must-haves for a backyard BBQ or camping trip and will come in handy during the 4th of July weekend. We’ve made it easier for you by putting together a Summer Picnic Checklist and a 4th of July Checklist, so you don’t miss a thing!
1) Purchase both a kid-friendly insect repellent and an insect poison remover to prevent future bites and to help old bites heal quickly.
2) Sunscreen is only recommended for children over 6 months of age! For a sunscreen alternative, purchase a bucket hat! Otherwise, come prepared with a sunscreen that is at least SPF 30! This sunscreen is water-resistant, natural, and environmentally friendly!
3) Take the shade with you wherever you go! Here is a portable sun shelter and beach blanket.
Summer preparation is not just about what you put on your body or what you take with you when you go outside, it’s also about how you prepare your home! Stock up on these items that can help your family stay germ-free and keep cool.
1) Remember, sanitizing your household items should be a regular routine, not a one-time event! Use this product for baby bottles, children’s toys, wallets, etc. to kill 99.9% of germs using UV rays!
2) Have tea bags available and add them to your bath to soothe sunburned skin and promote healing! It is safe for both you and your child!
3) Instead of blasting your AC all summer long, turn on a fan and save on your monthly utility bill!
No matter what your plans are, the most important thing that your children will remember is spending time together, so slow down and enjoy the moment! Whether you try out everything from this list or stick to just a few, stay safe and enjoy these Summer months as a family!